Friday, September 24, 2010

Preview of our Second Meeting, October 8

In order to make attendance a little easier for many of you I am hoping to start alternating the locations of our meetings. I have asked Alina if we can meet at Paisley. I will let everybody know as soon as that is confirmed.

At the October 8 meeting we will continue our investigation of Sickle Cell Anemia. Using a little bit of probability and algebra we will be able to make some predictions that fit the "real world" quite well. People who missed our experimental session on September 10 can easily participate in this part of the project. They are related but do not depend on each other.

I really enjoy this particular project because I think it is a great example of how powerful mathematics can be when we learn to apply the fundamental ideas that we teach in middle and high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment